Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sisters in Seattle

My sister Tanya is attending Culinary School. She competed in the Western Regional Competition this weekend in Seattle. I asked my dear husband if I could go to see her for a few days and he said yes. He even used points to get me a room in the same hotel as Tanya. It was so nice to spend time with my sister. I unfortunately did not make it out of the house as early as I had planned (laundry, school lunches, notes to teachers, after school arrangements for kids), so I missed seeing her team compete. But we did get to spend time together! I arrived in Seattle around 2 pm. Her team was just finishing and heading back to the hotel. I was able to make reservations for us to eat at 6 pm at the Sky View Restaurant atop the Space Needle. This was her first time in Seattle and my first time eating in the restaurant. It actually rotates! It takes 45 minutes to make a complete rotation. It was a beautiful, clear day in Seattle. Really, you could not have asked for better weather. We enjoyed wonderful food and conversation. I had Kobe Beef for the first time and she had the equivalent to Kobe Beef in Pork. Lucky life for those cows and pigs, except when it came time for us to eat. Anyways, after dinner we went up a floor to the observation deck. It was a beautiful sunset and no wind.

Me in the restaurant.

Chef Tanya in the restaurant.

Sisters on the observation deck.

The Space Needle at night. We took these pictures of each other laying on our back on the sidewalk! I have turned my blog into a book, a family journal. So now I am even more excited about entries to the blog. When I learned that I could for sure go to visit Tanya in Seattle I was so excited! No kids, no responsibility and fun times with my sister for 2 days! I instantly thought of the title for this post and told Mark. He just laughed at me. We visited the gift shop at the Space Needle before heading back to the hotel. We decided that it would be fun to have matching shirts for Pike's Market Place the next day. So.....

I present to you Sisters in Seattle!

Here we are in front of the famous "throwing fish" stand.

Of course a trip for mom would not be complete without souvenirs for the kids. John is loving Lego's right now, so this was the obvious gift for him. He put it together and set it up for me to take the picture. I have been wanting to get Alison one of these petticoat skirts for awhile now. I decided to splurge on her gift and bought it for her. Lets face it, I will never make it. She loves to twirl around in it and wear it whenever she can. My only rule was that she can not wear it to school. Bummer, she would be the cutest girl there. I had a wonderful time with Tanya and I love her so much. I am thankful for my loving husband for letting me go have fun and taking care of the kids for 2 days.

4 comments:

SHAKS Watts said...

Slade and I lived there while he attended grad school. Other than a baby who constantly cried, the town brings back such happy, happy memories and a very great time for our family. We lived about 8 blocks up the road from the Space Needle, but couldn't afford to go (student, no income & 2 babies--need I say more?) Part of me is scared to return and have our perfect bubble popped. Ahhh, happy times!

Melissa said...

I have been waiting for this post. Mom told me about it. I think that's great you were able to go and hang out with Tanya. I laughed when I thought of the two of you laying on your backs to take that picture. I just had to keep on reading to find out that you bought the skirt for Alison.

Melissa said...

Oh, I love that your friends husbands name is Slade.

Miss Kelli said...

the Sisters in Seattle :) are too cute!!!