Friday, June 19, 2009

Youth Conference

I was asked to be in charge of Youth Conference for our Ward this year. I had to come up with a theme, location, menu, transportation, schedule of events and promotion for about 50 people ages 12 and up. The theme I came up with was...






I wanted the youth to be secret agents. They really had a fun time with it. My friend Mark McBride designed the logo for me and we used it on the shirts. The scripture focus for the youth for this year is 1 Timothy 4:12. "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." I used this scripture to plan my activities. They would be an example in conversation through bearing their testimony. For charity we performed a service project of setting up large tents for the camp. Their spirit and faith were tested through the activities we did as a team.
We went to Zions Camp in Washington. We were there for two days and one night. I had the youth divided into two teams. Each team participated in a row boat competition, archery and ropes course. The main focus was to unify the group. So they had to work together as a team to accomplish each mission. I had a CD player that "appeared" before the mission telling them what to do, and that the message would self destruct. It was a lot of fun.
Everything went off without a hitch. We were able to stay on our time schedule and had no injuries. The only criticism I have received was that I had scheduled too long of a lunch hour. They wanted to get to the activities.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Okay seriously where do you find the time to do everything. You are as organized if not more than mom. I didn't read anything about starvation and hiking in the dark with nothing so it must have been a great time.

Nicole said...

OH HOW I MISS THEM ALL!