Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day and what a wonderful day it is. I am so thankful for my own mother and all that she has taught me in my life. There are many times in the day when I stop and say to myself, "wow, I just did or said that just like my mom". I am thankful for her example to me in serving others. My mother was always doing something for someone other than herself. I think back to how we always had clean clothes, food to eat and things to play with. Our friends were always welcome in our home. I watched her give service to those who were in need, even when she had 10 children of her own and a husband who was busy with his work and church callings.
I hold a special place in my heart for the women I know that have more children than myself. I often think of my mother as I talk with them and wonder just how she did it all. I try to give of myself to all women in my life that give so much to their families and friends. I pray daily that my Heavenly Father will guide me to know when they could use some help. And then I try to follow whatever prompt I receive to go and do for them. Sometimes it is as simple as bringing over a pizza and salad for dinner. I have learned that it does not have to be homemade to be from the heart.
And so to my own mother I love you. I hope that you had wonderful friends that thought of you when your own children were too little or too much of a teenager to think about you and what you might need in your life. I thank you for your example of being a mom. You made it look so effortless! I thank you for your testimony of our Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. I thank you for saying prayers with us and encouraging us to go to church, read our scriptures and say our own prayers. I thank you for the love you so freely gave to me.
At this time I am also thankful for my mother-in-law. I am thankful for the love and care she gave to her own children, specifically Mark. I am thankful for the way she raised him to be kind, honest, dependable and hard working. For the way she "put up" with him at times. I know that he has not always told you how much he loves and appreciates you. But I want you to know that he does. A while ago while dealing with our own son, who is very much a "mini Mark", Mark said to me, "Wow, I really appreciate my mom and what she had to go through raising me". I hope you know how much we both love and appreciate you and your patience.
As for my own motherhood experiences I am always glad to be a mom. I am thankful for the beautiful children that I have. I am thankful for their personalities and ability to make me stand in awe. They have brought me such joy, laughter and love. Yes, there are times that I would like to take a "vacation" from motherhood, but I never want to quit.
My own celebrations started at 4 am this morning when Alison tapped me on the arm and said she wanted to sleep with me. I opened the sheets and pulled her close. It is always such a wonderful feeling to have someone curl up next to you and be so comfortable that they just fall asleep. I stand in awe at the trust and faith they put in me, their mother. I love to lay next to John at night and feel his body relax as I listen to his breathing slow and watch him close his eyes in complete peace and comfort. I am honored that he needs me to lay with him to help him fall asleep. I treasure these cuddle moments that I have with my children. I know that it won't be long before they don't need or want me to cuddle with them. And so for now, I lay down next to a wiggling body and accept the feet in my back as I sleep, because someday, I will miss it.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I loved this post and couldn't agree with you more about mom. She is truly amazing. You are also a wonderful and organized mother much like mom. I love you and Happy Belated Mothers Day.